Monday, December 06, 2004

The Emergent Church

I read a great article over at Christianity Today's website about the Emergent Church, what it is and what its trying to understand as it re-evaluates the Christian message from a "been there, done that" evangelical perspective.

I am increasingly interested in the Emergent Church discussion. I have a couple of friends in Oklahoma who are involved in this discussion and it intrigues me greatly. They poke and prod me in interesting and insightful ways (to which I am grateful for in many ways).

I, who lead worship in a liberal pilgrim congregation, find that our message is missing something.. and I would sure like to find what that "something" is. One particular challenge I have in the pursuit of an emergent church within my faith tradition is that many of my congregants are dyed-in-the-wool congregational liberals who have no understanding (or patience) for those who have a message about a personal/devotional faith. How does one encourage others to grow their spiritual lives in a direction towards growth that still honors those who choose to travel more slowly or not at all?

Another challenge is that while we're good liberals in that we do social justice very well.. its just that we don't bring a devotional voice into that justice. We see Jesus as a motivation, and example, to do good- but where does the Christ fit into this discussion? Where does Christ lead us in this discussion? Are my questions simply a post-tribulationist perspective (which I can't say I actually believe, but don't ask me why). Its my odd questions and desire for something more that brings me to the Emergent Church discussion.

Unfortunately many of my liberal collegues do not share in my pursuit- some feel that I am hanging on to that which I had (speaking to my evangelical roots) and can't seem to let go of. A few other collegues are satisfied with liberalism enough that they don't want to change a thing. And still yet, there are a few collegues who are encouraging me to drop this pursuit entirely (for the sake of my well-being and my career).

I say all this to say, sometimes I feel like I am journeying alone (or more alone that I should be) in this pursuit. And that, in and of itself, is very challenging. As a result, I don't pursue this discussion or conversation with the same rigor I could have if I had others to journey with. I am left with only asking those tough questions or doing personal investigations only when I am 'up to snuff' physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Still.. its a discussion I am not giving up on and its something I feel is leading me in the right direction (I do believe that God is in the journey that our questions take us.) It is in articles like the one linked in this profile that feed my inquisitive soul and gives me encouragement for another time when I am ready to continue the discussions of an Emergent Church.

3 comments:

Todd said...

Bo, I am thinking there is a UCC pastor in Akron, Ohio who participated in the first ETREK course. His name is David Loar - Fairlawn-West United Church of Christ in Akron (www.fairlawnwest.org). Great fellow.

Paul said...

Let me say that I think I know how you feel. It's not so much that my colleagues reject the conversation. They simply aren't engaged in it and sort-of come off with that "deer in the headlights" look.

Another issues is that much of what I hear in the emergent church conversation is post-conservative and post-liberal...and those who are beholden to the titles "conservative" and "liberal" won't go easily because they don't want to give up their power structures.

If I'm surrounded by convinced conservatives and I begin to move beyond the structures of that paradigm, and if at the same time I don't see the answers lying in being a convinced liberal, I've sort-of left myself in a quandry.

However, (now I am speaking for myself, not just in hypotheticals) I am convinced that the further we get down the road we will see more and more (particularly among the people on the street) who are dissatisfied with those two alternatives (liberal vs. conservative). They will likely find homes in churches that are "emerging." And those left in the structures of the old paradigm will be sitting around wondering what just happened (though it won't have "just" happened).

In other words, your current circle of friends is likely to shrink while your future circle of friends is likely to grow as you continue this journey. I'm no futurist, so don't bank your life on it. It's just how I see it.

Bo said...

Thanks Paul, that is encouraging and I think you're right about it. Still.. its tough to challenge myself with I am my only critiquer. Fortunately, you and Todd are a great resource, if only I could get you two to become UCCers, then that'd be even more super. :)