Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Pushin' 40

My eldest brother has a saying, "Life only gets better as you get older...as long as you've got your health." As I am nearing the end of my 30s (I am 38, will turn 39 in September), I have been spending time reflecting on my life and have realized that it is true: my life has indeed gotten better as I've gotten older.

For starters, this morning I realized that I am stronger now than I was at 24. I can bench press 180 lbs, do more pushups (I do 50 every day), and apart from my allergies, I am seldom sick. I am more organized, my apartment is picked up and clean, I can work until my eyes burn from tiredness, and my brain seems to always be thinking of new ways of doing old things.

But then- there is the down side. I have more gas.. heck, I have gas all the time. My body feels the pangs of stress, I have more responsibility (yes, single guys can still have responsibility) and tend to worry more. My love life hasn't been as great as I'd like (am coming off a very long term relationship although we're still talking and who knows what might happen next between us) and my circle of friends is smaller than I wish it was.

Given the ups and downs of life- I am thrilled to be doing what I enjoy and have felt is my life-long calling. I have great health, am somewhat financially stable (except when Macy's has one of its huge sales), and my outlook on life is very optimistic.

Why am I writing all these things here? Two weeks ago I purchased a new Bible. And, found a new translation (the new living translation) that has me reading the Bible again like I was 14 years old. Old texts have come alive for me and new ones are just waiting to be rediscovered. In many ways, I feel young again. I feel like the Bible was written especially for me. I am tasteing what I first experienced in my faith: a virgin faith. A faith that was untarnished by reason and doubt. A faith that believed anything was possible. A faith that met God every morning and fell asleep to each night.

In spite of the fact I am getting older, my soul, fueled by a renewed faith, continues to feel young and alive. In this way, I have discovered that God has created one part of my body that, if well maintained, doesn't get old, saturated, stressed, or flatulant. As Isaiah reminds me: "God gives power to those who are tired and worn out; God offers strength to the weak. Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will give up. But they who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." (Is. 40:29-31)

So turning 40 won't be such a big deal after all... as long as my soul is young and my faith is invigorating.. growing older will be a wonderful blessing.

No comments: