Friday, June 18, 2004

Kindly Pastor or Justice Activist?

I have been thinking, which picture best captures the spirit of Pastor Bo? The old one below this post or the new one in my profile? The old one looks like the me that I want to be felt by those with whom I am called to minister and serve. You know the type, the guy you can tell your worries to, the one who sympathizes with all the crap we humans have to put up with in life.

The other pic, well, looks more like what I do when I am not pastoring. It looks like the guy who goes to the residence of an ambassador to march and protest the lack of condom distribution in some far off country. It looks like the guy who chairs several local community justice-seeking boards and committees. It looks like the guy who grabs his expresso at the local fab coffee house on his way to City Hall.

Both pictures are accurate depictions of me, just in different settings. And, as a result of those different settings, the pictures look very different.. almost as if they are two different guys both claiming to be me. You can see other pictures of me, all taken very recently (within a couple of months) and see the confusion.

So my discernment is, is this blog the place for a picture of me looking pastoral, or as I normally am, the *out* activist seeking to change the world? Hmmm.. what do you think?

1 comment:

Paul said...

Well, the "kindly pastor" pic doesn't look much like the Bo I grew up with. The other pic looks more like the Bo I'd call and wake up at 1PM on a Saturday. ;)

Funny thing....in our service last Sunday night I was wearing a sea-blue t-shirt and blue jeans. I introduced myself to the congregation in the event that someone didn't recognize me "out of uniform."