Thursday, November 04, 2004

Dealing with the Frustration

The tragedy that befell us on Wednesday, when Kerry conceded the election to President Bush, has caused me to feel both ill and angry. Wrestling with the emotion that we're in for another 4 years of greed, self-righteousness, and hostility, I've been thinking a lot about how my faith can speak to such a time as this. And then God spoke to me through a friend.

On Wednesday afternoon, I was speaking with a friend while we were commenting on the results of the Presidential election. Trying to keep an optimistic eye on our future, yet worried that our country may experience greater challenges, my friend said that regardless of what happens, his and my hope are not on the citizenship we have in America; rather, our confidence rests on our citizenship with God in the life everlasting. What an inspiring and hopeful way this Christian responded to the despondency many of us felt early on Wednesday morning!

Called as Christians to be a beacon of hope to our world is the responsibility we all share. Whether in times of joy or long-suffering, the words that we use to encourage our brothers and sisters, strangers and friends can provide significant comfort and support. As Philippians 4:5 encourages us, “Let your forbearing spirit be known to all.” In this way, my friend echoed the Apostle Paul in that our words of comfort will show others a patient and controlled restraint as well as hope in perilous times. By honoring the faith and joy of hope we have in Christ, may we find the peace we need to sustain us and those that surround our life.

And yes, our faith confirms that it is still possible to find peace even in a world where George Bush is President.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Bo! This is Jessica (of Cynthia and Jessica). We met a couple Sundays ago at church (the day of the retreat return). Thank you, BTW, for the thoughtful card. We really enjoyed Broadway and plan to return this Sunday.

Anyway, I was reading your recent post and thought you might like to read my response to the whole election thing. This was posted on my livejournal yesterday:

Yesterday was a hard, emotional day. I sat at my computer and watched as everything I hoped for was lost. I read others broken-hearted lj entries and mirrored their anger and fear. I cursed George Bush, the 11 states that banned gay-marriage and the American people in general for letting me down.

Then, as I was getting ready for bed, I pulled out my devotional and read aloud to Cindy as we do every night. The verse struck me more then any news report, emotional lj entry or angry word could have.

I share this with you not because I'm trying to preach to you, but because I needed to hear this and I think a lot of you would benefit from hearing it too.

Ephesians 4:25-5:2 (NRSV)
So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another. Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not make room for the devil. Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labor and work honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share with the needy. Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption. Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling and slander, together with all malice, and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Bo said...

Jessica-

What a great post! and a wonderful reminder of our call as Christians even in times of our greatest of challenges- and when things seem to go from bad to worse- to remember, not only to what God has called us to, but how we are called to be a part of the lives around us.

Thank you-
Bo