Wednesday, March 12, 2008

1 in 4 Female Teens has an STD

Wow!! I am of the mind to say both, "Is this for real?!" and "Holy Shit!" What makes this even more shocking is that it's the result of a federal study, not some quasi-study of some non-profit or paid-for marketing campaign by either a religious study group, a pharmaceutical company, or a liberal political agenda group (not that I am opposed to the latter, I am just always suspect when I read of a study-claim that just so happens to support its agenda too). But I digress, let me get back to my shock. Holy Shit!


If you've read my posts in the past, you know how much I dislike the abstinence-only education. We should be providing choices in our education, not just the ones that are directed at religious folks. We need to include as many other groups in order to effectively lower the teenage birthrate (which by the way, has increased significantly with this administration) and STD infection (to include HIV). How much more evidence do we need that programs based on ideology-only do not affect the target groups we're supposedly trying to help? In other words, we're willing to allow horrible things to happen to our nation's kids at the expense of maintaining our convictions. When we put ideology, religion, or conviction above the value of human life, then to me, this is hypocrisy at its worst.

Go here to read the FULL STORY.

h/p to QueerTwoCents.

No comments: