Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Easter is over.. sort of

Okay, so I know that Easter isn't "really" over. What is over, is the season of Lent and the holiday of Easter: the Christian High Holy days, as it were. The season itself has been a bit long to me- what with the self-reflection of Lent and asking myself how and why I continue to sin and how that sin affects both myself, my faith community, and my larger community (country and world). I have spent this season in serious reflection and the Easter celebration was just a day after 40 long days. I guess I just wasn't ready to be happy all of a sudden. Sure, I know that the Easter season lasts for several week up to Pentecost- but its suddent celebration from Lent was difficult for me to transition into.

For many New England church folk, the church year is about over. When Pentecost happens, most church choirs will be off for the summer. Apart from Vacation Bible School, most church activities will dwindle. Many church members will be showing up less and less and spending more time away at their out-of-city cabins and beach front properties. Pastors will begin coordinating their summer vacations and study sessions too. Soon, church attendance will look more sparse than full. And so it is with the church season. In spite of this regular happening, my personal life hasn't been so even-keel.

My personal life has been on a roller-coaster of late. Having ended a dating relationship that lasted quite a while, I found that working more and spending less time moping around my apartment was what I needed. So, I poured myself into my work. I worked more hours, attended more meetings, volunteered more often, and generally created so much work for myself, that it'll be months before I can catch my breath. And you know what? I think that is just fine. Perhaps it is a self-medication of sorts. I tend to be happiest when I am most productive- even in my personal life. Sure, I realize that perhaps I oughta be telling this to a therapist instead of my weblog; but it feels good to write this down (and I know that it is therapuetic to do so).

So you can see, this season for me has been a bit stressed. I've been certain to dot all my "i"s and cross all my "t"s. I have been preparing for and attending meetings, both at church and within my non-church commitments. I am planning a retreat for May, looking at my summer plans, and working on a new ministry within my denomination. Work, work, work... but then, its work I enjoy (and, fortunately for my occupation, I do believe that God is in the details).

After some thought, I guess one lesson for me in all this is to realize that Easter is not a one day experience but a continual one that lasts all year. And, while the church season works on a regular clock, my personal life doesn't. I am hoping that I'll catch up a bit and better appreciate the resurrection experience I have in Christ.

I am, honest to goodness, beginning to feel a bit better today. I took the day off yesterday and spent most of it relaxing and sleeping. I also went shopping for nothing in particular at a discount shopping store around the corner. I also brought my bike down from storage, cleaned it up, and got it ready for summer. I do love riding my bike. Yesterday was a peaceful day.

Please pray for me that I'll be more peaceful, find more relaxing distractions than more work, and that the resurrection of Christ will become a daily exhortation for joy- even if I don't think I have time for it.

Peace to you all-

No comments: