Monday, April 19, 2004

One of my best weekends ever

I think its amazing how, at one turn, life is full of stress and the feeling that you're just not doing everything you should. And then, suddenly, everything turns around and life is fulfilling, rewarding, and productive. While this may sound very bi-polar to some, I have discovered it is also a part of my life at times.

My weekend was absolutely stellar! On Saturday, New York City had the best weather its had in months. The sun was shining bright, there was a light breeze that made sure you wouldn't feel too hot, and all the colors of Spring were beginning to dot the scenery. You wanna know what I did? I got outside and enjoyed it all. I met friends in the late morning. We had coffee and went strolling through one of NYC's many public parks. Later in the day, I went riding my bike until the sun fell below the backdrop. At night, tired and exhausted from my day, I watched a movie until well past midnight. I tell you, I had the best day off I've had in months.

And then came Sunday. In the morning, I preached for a friend deep in the boondocks of Queens. The church is a small but very friendly one. I preached well and the prayers were right on target. Everyone loved the service and enjoyed themselves during it and the coffee hour. After my morning sermon, I headed back into Manhattan where I went, 'to work' so to speak, at my church. The service was beautiful, my pastor preached an incredible sermon, and we all had a great time worshiping and fellowshipping together.

Last night, as I was saying my prayers, I had to thank God for one of the best weekends I've had in a long while. My prayer time was not spent praying for what I needed; it was simply a long 'thank you' for being allowed to participate in what God was doing.

I gleaned a lesson in all this: the more my work depends on me doing what I ought, the more stressed out I feel and often doubt how hard I am working. However, the more I do what God has laid before me and, simply do what I would normally do and join in where God is already working, the less stress I feel and the more time I have to simply enjoy being alive and 'look around'. Now, don't get me wrong, I work hard and prepare well- but then, once I have been the good boy scout and prepared as I need to, I think my life lesson is to simply do whatever task I am to do- and then let God take that and be responsible for inspiring and enlivening others. Maybe this is my key to a life of less stress.

Okay, so this might not sound very wise and may not carry that 'A-hah!' moment to you- but it sure does with me.

Now if I can just figure out a way to bottle this idea and carry it with me throughout the weeks and years ahead! :)

No comments: