Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Healthy Living

Yesterday I received lots of interesting information regarding my life in the United Church of Christ; more specifically I received my 3rd Quarter investment schedule as well as a statement on what my last physical will cost me (what my insurance won't pay). While I'd love to go into a rant about the benefits of my insurance paying 100% of preventive care (e.g., yearly physicals) and why the heck they do NOT pay 100%, what impressed me was that our new denominational insurance carrier (Blue Cross, Blue Shield) so far pays so much MORE than our old carrier.

My last physical cost me about $500 out of pocket for the various tests and doctor's fees. I was so angry that I shot off letter after letter about the benefits for long-term care (read: insurance companies paying less in future costly medical bills associated with cancer and heart disease). I guess a lot of ministers complained or, it was just more feasible financially but the denomination switched carriers and I am paying a whole lot LESS! Woo-hoo!

I also received in the mail a brochure advertising the denominations new website dedicated towards advocating the creation of personal healthy lifestyle changes (I love it when the word 'lifestyle' isn't always associated with sex). They set up a website called, UCC Healthy Stewards, from the premise that we are responsible for being good stewards with our bodies. The site seems to be a great resource for maintaining healthy living choices, meal choices, and recommendations towards overall health. And, if you're a member of the Pension Boards (a minister, family member of a minister, or other such person) they provide health assessments and a host of valuable information aimed at providing ways to benefit with preventive healthcare. I think this is the best way to deal with issues of health and certainly the least costly in the longrun.

No comments: