Friday, November 25, 2005

What a Parsonage!

Today I spent the afternoon checking out the church where I am in the process of candidating. As most folks who know me already know, I am candidating at a church in New Jersey, just outside of New York City. A couple of weeks ago, the church's search committee voted unanimously to recommend me to the congregation as their pastoral selection. I will be preaching my candidating sermon on Sunday, December 11th.

Anyways, there are a lot of logistical things that need to be done between now and then. One of those things is checking out the parsonage, another is finding a car, and yet another is working on my final call contract. In some ways it seems like there is so much to do; in other ways it seems to be all flying along very quickly (although I think that latter feeling has more to do with my age). ;)

Anyways, today I went out to the church to check out the parsonage. Wow! It is beautiful and big. Moving from my small 1 bedroom apartment into a 2-story farmhouse will take quite some getting used to. The house has new siding and a new roof. Inside, there is a finished basement, a lovely first floor with a new kitchen and fireplace, and the second floor has three bedrooms laid out in this very conveniently accessible way that almost links all three together, and yet doesn't. I am sure that makes absolutely no sense.

Also, a funny thing happened today when I went to test drive a vehicle with one of the search committee members. As it happened, I took a used Jeep Cherokee for a drive. Unfortunately, I needed to fill it up with gas before going on the test drive. Giving the attendant the refill coupon from the dealer, I preceeded to turn on the ignition when nothing happened. The car wouldn't start. We had to leave the vehicle at the gas station and walk back to the dealer down the street. Crazy, right?

Anyways, the day went very well and I am very excited about my new future, assuming I get the job of course. Woo-hoo! (I've taken to saying "Woo-hoo!" alot lately, both in writing and in person).

No comments: