Friday, November 11, 2005

A Night on the Town

I realize I haven't posted anything in almost a week! I've been busy at work getting things lined up for next week and pretty much staying out late at night. This week, I've had the fortune of going out twice and I'll go out again tomorrow night too.

On Tuesday night, a church member invited me out to see a Broadway show that I've been relunctant to see because I've seen various movies about it on television over the years. However, this church member was persistent and finally, we went to see The Phantom of the Opera. Let me tell you, it was amazing! The music, the set design, and the story was worth the ticket price and I now have a show I can take my out-of-town friends to see, the ones who would not enjoy seeing Rent (my favorite all-time Broadway show).

Tonight a church member was performing for her CD release. She is an accomplished singer, has won numerous awards for her songwriting (including a Dove Award, a Christian version of the Grammys). A bunch of us from church (about 10 of us) went to hear Tina deVaron sing. She is very talented indeed! And, her collection of songs with this cd centers around her eldest son's departure for college and him "leaving the nest" and what that feels like to her and her husband.

Tomorrow night, the church musician, his partner, and I are going to New York City's Chocolate Festival in Chelsea. I had wanted to go to this months ago when I heard about it but had forgotten about it until today, when I just happened to be walking down the street where the festival is happening. Suddenly I remembered about it and asked Doug (the church musician) if he'd like to go to it tomorrow night.

I am becoming a real "going out on the town" kind of guy, eh?

No comments: