Saturday, January 21, 2006

Internet Access

Well, I know its been ages and ages since I've posted on here- or at least, it seems like it's been that long seeing how I don't have access to the internet on a regular basis. Presently, I am sitting in a Starbucks in Closter, NJ (pronounced Cloe-ster). I signed up for the pay as you go access and am drinking expensive coffee and enjoying the nectar of the gawds (read: Copenhagen snuff).

Anyways, I stopped off at my former church on Friday to pick up some mail when a friend said, "When are you going to update your blog already?!" I had forgotten that one way friends from my former church can stay in touch with me is through my blog entries--assuming I actually write any. I told my friend about my internet woes and promised I'd update it very soon. So, here I am.

To give you all a brief update as to my happenings here of late. After I returned from Oklahoma, I attended my last service at Broadway UCC in NYC. It was a great service followed by a wonderful time of food, friendship, and remembrance at my going away dinner that evening. I was touched by what everyone who spoke said and it was a powerful testimony to my ministry there. It was an evening that I'll never forget.

On Tuesday, two days after my last Sunday, I moved into the parsonage in Cresskill, NJ. Wow, what a huge difference my living space has become. I moved from a small 1 BR into a two-story farmhouse with a huge front porch. While the place isn't decorated yet, soon it'll be (esp since I live about 20 minutes from Ikea!). The church has yet to complete some really cool updates and upgrades to the parsonage; once that happens, I'll have an even cooler pad to call home.

All last week was spent unpacking at home and at the office. By Sunday, I was almost completely unpacked and nearly settled into everything. This past week has been spent getting acqauinted with the secretary, learning who's who in the congregation, and introducing myself to everyone. I also spent the week getting to know my neighborhood.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I also bought a car this week. I went to several car dealerships and finally found something that was both affordable and roomy enough for my tall self. I bought a 1999 Oldsmobile Bravada. It looks like a wide Ford Bronco. While I don't get great gas milage, I do fit into it nicely. And, with the bonus seat warmers, I can now drive in style knowing that my bottom will be nice and warm. It also has leather seats and a nice stereo system.

I drove my car back into NYC yesterday. I needed to go back to my old apartment to gather some stuff I'd left and to prepare it for a massive cleaning that I'll do next week. Afterwards, I stopped off at my old church to get some mail (where my friend commented on my bloglessness) and then had dinner with some friends. Afterwards, we went out for drinks at a fun bar on Christopher Street and then I headed back to New Jersey.

Today I've been out window shopping at Best Buy and then onto Ikea where I looked around and brought back their new 2006 catalog.

I've had quite the full day. Now I need to head home and finish my sermon for in the morning. This is pretty much my brief update. I'll write more later. And, I'll write about the really funny thing that happened on my first Sunday preaching at the church.

No comments: