Wednesday, May 03, 2006

When Conversation Turns to Action

Okay, so you read my rant supporting immigrants and trying to find a working solution to the delimna. What I didn't write about was that right after I wrote that rant, I received an email from a church member forwarding a particularly offensive patriotic nationalism decrying illegal immigrants who are trying to abolish our American way of life. The email used an article from several years back that really had nothing to do with the immigration issue but, after including it in the email, offered his own comments justifying, "If you can't learn our language, then LEAVE!" kind of response. The church member then received this email and forwarded it on to all her friends (the tag line at the end of the email was, "If you love America, send this email to everyone you know."

So I wrote a response to the email explaining how offended I was with it's contents. Before sending it though, I hopped over to snopes.com to check out the mass email, and then I wrote my response, and began an email conversation. After several back and forth emails defending a Christian response to illegal immigrants, opinions were indeed changed.

As a result of the email dialogue, the church member who sent the original email, just called to ask if the church could host an ESL (English as a Second Language) class for illegal immigrants or immigrants seeking to become US citizens. Is that amazing or what?! I tell you, church life has its rewards and they are extraordinary. I sure hope we can do something to help out those who are honestly seeking a way to continue contributing to the American experience. And, I am so proud of the church member who is listening to her Christian faith to be hospitable AND responsible to her American patriotism.

1 comment:

David said...

What a great story about hope, new life, transformation.. you name it! It is exciting to see people move from a enmity to action to address the issues. Thee cheers for the parishionner! (And the pastor!)