Monday, July 24, 2006

A New Devotional

I started a new devotional book this morning titled The Christian Book of Questions, by Laura Boswell. In it, I found some interestingly personal and suprisingly deep questions about my faith and what I believe about God.

I am a firm believer that God is seldom in the answers that we construct or discover as we read our interpretation of Scripture or theology. More often than not, we end up creating boxes by which God becomes more limited in how God communes with us and us with God. However, looking for answers is part and parcel of our humanity and certainly there are some answers we must search for and discover. But I think those answers are fewer than what is necessary.

I like to think that God is more often with us as we search out our questions. For I remain convinced that God is in the journey that our questions take us. And therefore, when a church member loaned me her copy of this book, I was thrilled to begin reading, pondering, and asking myself a plethora of questions.

This morning I found three question each following each other. After reading these three questions, I started wondering if their grouping was by chance or if the author has something in mind. Mind you, these are the only three questions on the page. However, on several pages there are a mix of questions that seem to have no correlation. Anyways, here are the three questions I read this morning. How would you answer them?

* Have you forgiven everyone who has ever hurt you? Why or why not?
* If you were allowed 24 hours to engage in the sin of greed, laziness, sex, or gluttony as much as you liked and with no punishment, how would you spend your day?
* If you could correct the repercussions of one mistake or sin in your life, what would it be?

No comments: