Thursday, July 06, 2006

New Porch Book

You'll remember from my posts of yore, when I lived in NYC and rode the subway everyday, that I would often head off to the bookstore to purchase my 'subway book'. Riding the subways can become monotonous but having a book to read helps the time fly by especially when the subway is delayed on some track far from your destination.

Now that I live in the suburbs, my new place to read is on my fancy front porch. Surrounded by bushes, trees, and potted plants, I sit down next to a small table with my coffee within arms reach to read whatever book I fancy. And, since I love the mornings so much, I tend to do my reading around 7-8am, on the mornings I don't hit the gym.

I purchased a new book today. The book is titled, "The Devil and Miss Prym" by Paulo Coelho. You'll remember he is the author of 'The Alchemist'. Here is a write up from the publisher about the book,

Tormented by past tragedy and now searching to understand the good and evil natures of humanity, a stranger targets the remote town of Viscos for a spiritual experiment that involves tempting the youngest resident, the discontented Chantal Prym, with gold bars to see if she will hold fast to her religious beliefs or cast all aside for monetary gain. As part of their bargain, Chantal is required by the stranger to tell the town members of the gold, which will be freely offered to revitalize their declining town if they will break a commandment and kill one of their own. This enticing proposition throws all the townfolk into a grave moral crisis.

If you find yourself reading it, or have already read it, please post a comment here and let us know if you enjoy it or not.

No comments: