Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Three Things

There is the Trinity, of course: Creator, Christ, and Holy Spirit. Then there were the three wise men and the Three Amigos. Oh and speaking of which, there were the Three Stooges and Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady. In the last month, my car got sick, then my computer got sick, and now I have gotten sick.

Actually it's more than just sick. I went to the emergency room Sunday after church because my ankle was hurting me so-- and the new pain the shot up my calf. The nurses were concerned about that particular pain in my calf and took some blood tests and a sonar thingy and found that I have a blood clot in my leg. Yuck. They immediately admitted me to the hospital where I had a plethora of tests to conclude the seriousness of the situation.

They released me today and for the next 6 months, I will be on Coumadin, an anti-coagulant. And, this is the really icky part.. until my blood gets thin enough, I have to give myself Coumadin-like shots in my stomach twice a day for about 2 weeks. Ouch! If I thought I was a wuss before, that doesn't even compare to me sticking myself with these dang needles.

I still can't get over the 'needles in the stomach' part.

You know, I was thinking a couple of days ago: First was my truck, and then my computer. What is going to be the THIRD thing that disrupts my life? Now, I am not really superstitious but those first two things were bad enough. It had me thinking both, 'What on earth could possible happen that'd be any worse?' and 'Don't horrible things like these run in threes?'

Well, now I have my answer. And, it happened just days before my 42nd birthday.

Now I have something to think about: my mortality.

But here is the good news, in spite of it all. My truck is fixed, thanks to the generosity of my family. My computer is fixed, thanks to the wisdom of the computer tech who saved it for far less than a new computer would be (far, far less). And my doctors have assured me that blood clots in legs (caused by flying for those who easily get cramped up in those dang seats) is fairly common and is nothing to worry about. So I have nothing to worry about except for some minor life-modifications: no alcohol for 6 months (I don't drink much so this isn't a big deal), no more veggies in my diet (who likes them anyway), and no longer shaving with a razor (I had to buy an electric one). That last one is to prevent unnecessary bleeding in the event I cut myself shaving and causing my blood to leak everywhere since I am thinning out my blood with the Coumadin.

And, I get to relate better to the elderly members of my congregation who are practically all on the stuff or have been on it at one time or another. I'd've picked an easier way to relate to them--but hey, what can I do.

So there you have it: The Trinity and the Three Wise Men. Except for the Three Stooges (and perhaps the Three Amigos), I guess I am in pretty good company, right?

No comments: