Sunday, July 11, 2004

Friends finding their own way

I have been talking with this really great friend of mine who is exploring his faith in a different way. As he continues on his faith journey, he is looking for expressions that meet his needs as well as answering a few of the questions that his former faith tradition either ignores, pretends doesn't exist, or is flatly hypocritical about- and he's sick of it (and for good reason).

As I look back over my spiritual "coming of age", I traveled a road that was bumpy, veering all over the road, and sometimes not on any recognizable map. I have worshipped with Baptists, Methodists, and charasmatics, participated in a deliverance ministry (casting out demons from people), I've worshipped in demonstratedly protestant churches (where you have no idea what the main message was), and ranted and supped with the best Calvinists rallying the Five Points of Calvinism (the doctrines of predestination). And then, later in life when I plunged into great despair that resulted in my spiritual life spiraling out of control, I spent many a day dazed and confused over this thing we call religion (seeing how I had such varied doses of it). With much prayer and support, I recovered from my spiritual disarray and found a spiritual home where my faith thrives and explores- it has the freedom to experience God in new ways as well as discovering God in surprising and unexpected times.

It is both through my own experiences and how I interpret the working of the Spirit that have shaped my wrestling with religion and faith- I, whether this is a good thing or not, have come to terms that my faith is separate from my religion. It should come as no surprise then when reading my posts, you may find a rant or two about the evils of religion (or, those beliefs one must adhere to in order to be 'considered a christian' by those who invent or interpret the rules). Honestly, religion can have its place, and its best place is helping people understand the work of God- its worst place, is when it only permits participation in ways its leaders deem appropriate.

Anyways, all that aside, my friend is exploring faith as it is interpreted by others who are exploring what religion means to them. He is also digging deeper into his own spirituality to find its meat. He is on an interesting faith journey, one that will turn out all right- and his journey will be filled with analysis, self-inspection, much discernment and a spirit-led pursuit. Pray for him that he might find the journey that blesses his soul- and that wherever he goes, God will precede him on his journey (making the way smoother and enlightening as he goes).

After all, it is God's promise to us that what God has begun in us, God will complete- regardless of where our journeys take us.

No comments: