Friday, November 03, 2006

Haggard Update

I just returned from playing an afternoon of pretty good golf. It was chilly to say the least but I shot a decent round. I've played golf only twice this year and this time was by far better than my last.

Upon getting home, I checked the news to discover that ol' Haggard has admitted to getting massages from Mike Jones, the gay hustler, but didn't have sex. He also admitted to purchasing the meth through the hustler just to "see what it was like" but didn't ever actually take it, opting instead to throw it away. It sure sounds like he's nervous--admitting and yet not admitting to things. If it can be proven that he took the meth, I am sure we'll hear a different story out of him.

I guess I was sort of right in my previous post. My guess is that Haggard won't admit to doing anything that cannot be proved. Jones has recorded voicemails to prove Haggard was interested in the meth drug but there is no actually proof he took it. There is proof that he called several times looking for it and the voicemail implication is that he has indeed partaken.

His relationship with Jones remains a guessing game. As time goes on, I am sure we'll read that Haggard did more than received a massage. I mean, if he was just looking for a massage in general, he could have gone to the local mall or to a doctor recommended therapist, right? I mean, pursing a gay hustler to get a massage seems very suspect. And I am not the only one who thinks so. James Dobson, President of Focus on the Family doesn't sound like he is buying any of it either. In his reply about Haggard, he issued this statement,

"All of us at Focus on the Family are heartsick over the allegation, not yet confirmed, that Ted has had a private life with a homosexual for several years. We will await the outcome of this story, but the possibility that an illicit relationship has occurred is alarming to us and to millions of others. Ted has been my close friend and colleague for many years. He has been used mightily to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ in Colorado Springs and around the world. He will continue to be my friend, even if the worst allegations prove accurate. Nevertheless, sexual sin, whether homosexual or heterosexual, has serious consequences and we are extremely concerned for Ted, his family and his church." (Italics mine)

According to what Dobson says, it sure doesn't sound like he is believing Haggard's story while at the same times waiting to see what can or cannot be proven. Once the dust clears and the evidence is presented, we're sure to read to what extend Dobson and his allies will say and do with Haggard.

And I doubt that we'll have to wait long. I am guessing the revelations will begin to pour out as the days pass.

And all of this just days before the gay marriage vote will happen in Colorado. Hmm.. I wish it'd happened a few weeks ago--to give folks time to think more about the reality that gay folks are everywhere even in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

*********
Go here to read a transcript of the hustler being interviewed on MSNBC.

No comments: