Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Joe Kort's Chapter Headings

I am reading, "10 Smart Things Gay Men can do to Improve their Lives" by Joe Kort. It is a book I picked up over the weekend. It is written by an openly gay psychotherapist in private practice in a Detroit suburb. The book is a great read because it is very inspiring and offers good advice without being condescending or trite.

I have noticed that the book begins each chapter with a revelant quote to what each chapter is about. Here are a few of the chapter headings and related quotes:

Take Responsibility for your own life
It is hard to love yourself more than you have been loved. -Charlotte Kasl

Affirming Yourself by Coming Out
It is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for who you are not.
-Andre Gide

Resolve Issues with Your Family
A man can't make a place for himself in the sun if he keeps taking refuge under the family tree. -Helen Keller

Graduate from Eternal Adolescence
Would the small boy you once were look up to the man you have become? -unknown

Take Advantage of Therapy
We see the world as we are, not as it is. -the Talmud

What do you think about any of these quotes? Does any particular one speak to you?
I like the one, 'if the boy I was would respect the man I've become' quote. It's gotten me thinking about how much I've grown and changed in my life. In many respects, I am a completely different person now than I was when I was younger: my eyes have opened to new peoples and cultures; I am not as close-minded as I once was; and I enjoy being around people (something I did not enjoy when I was a kid). I don't know if the kid I was would 'approve' of the man I've become but he would surely admit I am much more fun and kind hearted.

No comments: