Friday, May 21, 2004

People respond so differently..

My sermon this past Sunday got mixed reviews. Some people really liked it, others were furious. Leave it to me to specifically name Donald Rumsfeld and this administration as people who pursue peace the wrong way- who knew there would be sympathetic Republicans actually visiting Broadway Church.

One couple (I heard this info from a member who overheard the conversation), a man and woman, got up after the service. Turning to his wife (or partner or friend, this is NYC so one never really knows for sure), the man said, "Come on, lets get the h*ll out of this place!" And they did just that.

But then, I heard from so many others how much they enjoyed the service. A couple of older members said it was one of my best sermons and liturgies. Another friend of the church said, "Bo, you gave me so much to think about- so much good things to think about."

Admittedly, I wrote the sermon based on a brief conversation with a very good friend and a guy I really respect back in Oklahoma. While we have a different understanding about the nature of war, our conversation initially began questioning how God's good news could be proclaimed in the Iraq situation. My friend got me thinking about the nature of peace- so, my sermon is indebted to my friend who inspired me to think more.

I guess a person, who speaks the truth they believe is important, must also be prepared for others who don't look at it their way. I hope I didn't offend that couple who left in a huff but I also hoped I presented them with God's good news too.

You can read my sermon at the church were I serve by going to the sermons section of the church's website at www.bwayucc.org.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Watch your friends - they may get you in trouble. Really hate to hear that even those attending your church can be as narrow as some who visit ours.