Thursday, July 28, 2005

Nashville?

As a few of you know, my full-time position as the Assistant Pastor at Broadway Church was only meant to be a temporary one. From the beginning, I was only supposed to be full-time for approximately 9 months and then either go to part-time or find another position elsewhere. Well, that was almost 4 years ago.

Serving in a smaller church, there are two full-time pastors here (me and my interim pastor). Come January though, my position will revert back to its original part-time state. As a result of this decision from the church, I have begun circulating my ministerial profile seeking a position as senior/sole pastor of a congregation. As my profile has been circulating for about 3 months, I've had some very interesting churches respond. One of those very interesting churches is located in Nashville, Tennessee.

Last Sunday night I participated in a conference call with the church in Nashville. After a long conversation, we said our pleasantries and said goodbye. Last night, the chair of the pastoral search committee called and left a message on my home voicemail stating that the committee was impressed with the conversation on Sunday night and would like to have me fly to Nashville for a more concentrated interview as well as hear me preach in a neutral pulpit (a "neutral pulpit" is a venue outside of the particular church where I preach a sermon for another congregation and the search committee is present among the worshippers to hear me preach).

I am very excited about this particular congregation and how it is we'll get along. While the search process takes time and I know I shouldn't already be daydreaming about a future that hasn't happened yet (i.e., me getting the job), I am as excited as a teenager the day before the state fair is to open. Please pray for me and the church during this discerning time.

I was telling a friend of mine who lives in Tennessee today about the possibility that I might move there. He lived in Los Angeles for a long time before moving back home. He told me that I am going to have to learn to better appreciate country music. I asked, "Do you mean I will get to appreciate it or that I'll have to appreciate it?" Laughing he said, "Yes." He also reinerated over and over to me, "Nashville isn't New York." Or, "Things are a bit slower here." And, "It'll be one heck of a change for you." But finally he said, "You're gonna love it here."

I am convinced that if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, that my friend may be right.

No comments: