Monday, September 13, 2004

Apple Cake Recipe

This recipe comes from Vicki Standridge of Lucile, Oklahoma and compiled by the Friendly Mound Extension Homemakers Club (organized in 1929,) in the rural area south of Tuttle, Oklahoma.

Cake
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of flour (remember to sift it)
3 eggs
1 cup of oil
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (I always double the vanilla ingredient)
1 cut of nuts (optional, I don't use nuts because Roy doesn't like them)
4 chopped, peeled raw apples

I used my food processor to mince the apples, it was a lot quicker and a whole lot easier than cutting them up with a knife. Besides, I just received some new knives. I was afraid, with all of the chopping required that I'd end up chopping off a finger (or two).

Anyways, mix all the ingredients and bake in a greased and floured 9x13 pan for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. While waiting, make your frosting.

Frosting
1- 8 oz package of cream cheese
4 tablespoons of butter
2 cups of powdered (confectioners) sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Soften cream and butter (30 seconds in the microwave). Mix all ingredients together and spread on warm cake.

This cake tastes so good, especially after I added an extra tablespoon of butter and 2 more ounces of cream cheese to the ingredients in the frosting. I have had a piece of it already and it is sooooooooooooooooooo good. I am giving the cake to Roy's parents tomorrow, so we'll see how it passes the Ecuadorian taste tests.

No comments: