Friday, September 24, 2004

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

Okay, so last Sunday was my birthday. I am now 39 years old. I told a friend I was 39 and he remarked, "Is this the first time or the second time?" I sort of expected that comment- it makes me wonder if anyone actually believes I am 39.

Despite being almost 40- I feel pretty good. I have my health and I still look decent enough. Today, after a denominational meeting in Brooklyn, a few ministerial friends and I went to a pizzaria down near the Fulton piers. Excusing myself after our meal, I went to the bathroom. (Now, don't get all grossed out, this isn't one of those kinds of stories).

In the bathroom, I was confronted with mirrors on all the walls. And, since their were more walls than just the normal four, it was cool being able to see all sides of me, front, side, back, angled, and the like. Being the good homosexual that I am, I stood there looking at myself- and how I might look to others. I noticed that the gray on the back of my head is definately noticeable. I noticed that I need a haircut. And, I noticed, that hey, I don't look that bad. Tucking in my shirt, I started posing and looking all goofy (being alone in front of mirrors can be cool, as long as no one sees you).

When I left the bathroom, I returned to my table and told my friends about the many mirrors in the bathroom. One friend said, "Well, I gotta go see how good I look from behind!" She is so funny (although I didn't admit to her that I too, found that to be a very curious thing).

Turning 39 really isn't such a bad thing, I've concluded. As long as I don't get all flabby and old looking, then 39 is just like being 38. However, being 38 is nothing like being 35- and so, I now will be turning my attention to turning 40, my next big hurdle. I am sure 40 will look just like 39- as long as I keep going to the gym and don't eat at the pizzarias as often. ;)


2 comments:

Paul said...

Yeah...I figured 39 wouldn't be much different than 38, too. Then, yesterday one of the elderly ladies in the church said, "you're getting fat." CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!?! Seems that when I came to this church I was 38 and rather svelt. Now I'm 39 and fat!

I'm not looking so forward to 40 as you are, I guess.

Bo said...

She actually told you that?! To your face? Daaaang, and I thought congregationalist UCCers were the only ones to do something like that!

For the record, when we played golf this summer, you didn't look fat at all. I thought it was rather cool that you and I both still look decent enough in our middle age. But.. but what if that lady in your congregation was right and WE'RE wrong! What if, you're fat, I am fat, and we're both getting older in the most hedious of ways?!.

It's thoughts like that only motivate entries like you find in this blog. In other words, I don't know if I am really looking forward to turning 40 either but I am trying to convince myself that everything is going to be okay. If I can't stop the aging process, at least I'll convince myself that there's nothing wrong with it.. really..