Friday, September 24, 2004

Really Good Poetry

I have been a fan of W.H. Auden for a long time. His poetry, ballads, and other verse seems to speak to me in a variety of ways. Perhaps it is because Auden was a man of faith who looked for God in and around his life. Perhaps it is because Auden was also a gay man. Perhaps it is because of his struggle to reconcile his faith and sexuality- and to do it honestly, or as honest as he could have given the era he lived in.

I have added his book, As I Walked Out One Evening, to my list of recommended books. I am thinking, regardless of your sexual orientation or spiritual pursuit, reading Auden will still be a delight. He takes great care in his poetry to ensure that words and sounds, gutterals and vowels, have a way of weaving themselves into the stanzas in an interesting and sometimes, in a quirky way. If you decide to buy this book, be sure to spend some time reading aloud his poetry- you'll hear what I mean.

No comments: