Monday, February 20, 2006

Alka Seltzer, where are you?!

I officiated at my first wedding here in New Jersey over the weekend. The couple getting married were both of Italian heritage and so, I guess youse can says that I am now Joisi-fied. In all seriousness, it was a beautiful wedding held on a Native American reservation on top of a huge hill overlooking the eastern shore of New Jersey with New York City easily visible in the distance.

Besides the great couple getting married, the entire gathering did resemble an episode of the Sopranos. The men were impeciably dressed and the older men all had this thick "Godfather" accent seeing how they were all born in Southern Italy. The father of the bride made a good connection. He is from the town of Bari and I was stationed near there when I was in the military. My base was at San Vito Air Station near Brindisi.

I had a wonderful time with everyone; they were incredibly friendly. And you wouldn't believe the food they had. I ate from the time I arrived (at 10:30am) until I left at 5:00pm. They had a huge appetiser buffet from 10:30am until 2:00pm (the wedding was at 11:30am). Then there was dancing and drinking and more appetisers. And then the main course, and then more appetisers and then desserts and then more drinking. Oh mah gawd! I was so gorged on food, they had to roll me to my truck.

And still, I had a wonderful time. I guess now that I am out of New York City, I'll soon be looking like a dutch version of an Italian family: Large, well-dressed, and well-fed.

No comments: