Friday, February 03, 2006

New Computers

As you might expect, my life is kinda revolving around my new position as the new pastor in a community church. Having moved here just over two weeks ago, adjusting to living in a parsonage, and getting everything in the church office organized and 'up to snuff' so to speak have all been happening around me at the same time. It's really cool and sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure this is all really happening and that I am really awake.

One of the really exciting things to have happened this week (yesterday) was the purchase of two new office computers, one for the secretary and one for me. We decided to purchase 'all-in-one' packages to save some money and to make things a little easier. So, we bought two of the exact same computer packages. Each package came with a computer, 17" LCD monitor, and an all-in-one printer. I asked the salesperson about the computer that we purchased and I asked him if it was what we're looking for (after telling him what we needed). He said, purchasing "this" computer is akin to hammering in a nail. While these other (cheaper) computers are like hammers, what we ended up buying was like, "hammering in a nail with a jackhammer." You could've seen the glean in my eyes.

Actually the reasoning for buying these computers as powerful as they are is the hope that they will last us for 8-10 years since chances may be that once we get a new computer, buying an upgrade will be more difficult in convincing the trustees in their overall need (since they would have worked well for the first few years we bought them).

This is the CPU we bought. You can go here to read its specs.

Pretty cool, eh? I am soooooooooo psyched. One of the cool features is that is has a built-in wireless card. On Saturday, our DSL in the office is getting turned on. So, all we'll have to do is enter in the MAC number on the wireless modem and we're all set. I just can't tell you how excited I am.

No comments: