Monday, February 13, 2006

A Blizzard to Remember

On Sunday, we had the worst blizzard in history (or rather, as long as there's been New Englanders living in the East). It snowed 27 inches here and it did so in less than 12 hours. It was incredible to watch! And it was horrible shoveling it away.

Moving to the 'burbs I am now responsible for shoveling the snow that falls. Or rather, if I don't shovel it, I can't get out. But then, while I was shoveling the snow yesterday, I got to thinking, "Son, you've got a 4x4 now. What on earth are you doing shoveling your own driveway?! Get in that car and put that good ol' redneck blood you got coursing through your veins to work and get out of there!"

Actually, I didn't think this at first--it took my mom to say, "David dear, didn't you buy a four by four? Why not just back it out; you can hurt yourself shoveling all that snow." After some thought (which lasted about 1 minute, I thought to myself, "Yeah, she's right," and then the redneck blood argument popped into my head.)

So I went outside and put my key in the ignition. Letting the truck warm up a bit, I threw the car in reverse, stepped on the gas pedal, and Vaa-ROOOOMMM! I was out of the snow. It was actually like driving through tall grass- that snow didn't have a chance. Now I feel like an Oklahoma boy in these thar hills of New Jersey. Woo-hoo! Or rather, "Yeee-hawwww!"

(Thanks mom for reminding me where my bloodlines come from.)

1 comment:

Paul said...

Oh, son, now you're bringing back some memories. Just for curiosity's sake, have you run over any trash cans in your new truck? Or have you found an intersection with a really good dip in it that has let you catch some air?