Monday, February 13, 2006

It's Just You and Me, Brother

The blizzard on Sunday not only had me stuck (for a time) in my driveway; being stuck meant that I had to walk to church Sunday morning. Fortunately, the parsonage is only a few blocks away from the church, so it was a short walk. Granted, the snow was blowing in chunks sideways at about 50 mph; I couldn't see further than 10 yards in front of me, and I had to walk down the middle of the street avoiding the few cars who were brave enough to be out in the snow storm (the sidewalks were covered with 27" of snow plus the snow the plows had blown on them taking them from the streets.) All in all, I think there must've been 5ft of snow on the sidewalks in all.

Anyways, when I arrived at the church, it was just me and the chairperson of our Board of Trustees. He handed me a cup of coffee he picked up along the way and we sat down in the church parlor talking and gabbing until, looking at his watch, he said, "It's 10:35am." Church starts at 10:30am. So, after our hour long conversation, we got up, walked to the doors of the church, turned off the lights, locked the doors, and went home.

And you know what I did? I went home, took off my shoes, sat down and back in my recliner, and took my first honest Sabbath day rest in a very long time. It was wonderful.

And, I am glad our church members stayed home too. It was too dangerous to be out driving in; I was so worried that one of them would try to make it in only to get in a wreck and get hurt. Church shouldn't be a dangerous thing to go to, not even to keep your perfect Sunday attendance.

No comments: