Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Jersey Boy

On Monday, I turned in my keys to my building super in Manhattan, turned off the lights to my apartment, closed the door, and left. It felt like I was leaving a part of myself in that apartment. And, in a way I guess I did. That apartment was painted and decorated by Roy and me. We made the place our own, painted it in a variety of funky (but cool) colors, and had the time of our lives there. We threw some great parties there, enjoyed being together, and spending lazy Saturday mornings watching television and sleeping in.

And yet, since Roy and I decided, last year, to be friends instead of lovers, leaving the apartment is also a bit of closure too.

And, with my church job ended, my long-term relationship over, and my new life beginning in New Jersey, I can say with honesty, conviction, and a bit of sadness: my time in New York City is finally over. Visiting the city will never be the same (part of me thinks, "Thank Gawd!") while another part of me is already romanticising my time there. There is no other city like New York, that's for sure! And yet, that is probably a good thing. :)

"A-ayyyy New Joisey, whatha f--k you doin'?!" I am now a Jersey Boy, accent and all (with only a slight Oklahoma twang). ;)

No comments: