Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Eh- Some days are just so so

My day has been quite interesting- if not a bit off-kilter for me. While my last evening and morning were fabulous, my day hasn't been as good.

Last night, Roy and I stayed up way late watching Further Tales of the City, Vol. 1 on DVD. We had no idea it was going to be a 3-hour movie! Daaaang. Anyways, we went to sleep might late and woke up mighty late. This morning Roy fixed breakfast burritos for us and we puttered around until we both had to leave. We both had a nice break- and, it helped that I was staying home out of the advice of dear friends.

Anyways, upon getting to work, I learned that I had misunderstood a parishioner's request for something and thereby my response was skewed. It sorely upset my friend and parishioner, however, in response, we came to an amiable solution (but the stress of goofing on a friend irritates me). Then, while trying to do something cool to my computer, I went into the Window's Registry and caused a huge irritation whereby whenever I now double click on a file folder, my computer goes into search mode, instead of showing the contents of the folder. Grrrrrrrr...! I have no idea (yet) how to correct this problem but I am thinking the solution will bring me back into my Registry (which is one place that scares me to go).

But then, our church's sandwich distribution went amazingly well- and amazingly fast. Nearing 4:00pm, we had a line stretched down the block. Sadly, there aren't enough sandwiches for everyone (there rarely is nowadays). There are just so many people standing in line. While the joy of helping others is wonderful, lately it has been followed by a touch of sadness knowing we never have enough for everyone.

In a little while, I am about to talk with a fella who is considering going to seminary. He has been visiting several schools in the last two months (including Union Seminary, the Pacific School of Religion at Berkeley, and Harvard Divinity School). We are going to talk about what he found and help begin the discernment process. He is a great guy- wherever he goes, the school will be blessed to have him. Helping someone in their challenging times of discernment is always a blessing for me. I love to see folks take those great risks- which necessitates using their faith in God in profound ways.

So, yeah, today has had some great experiences and one or two I'd rather forget about. But all in all, it's balancing itself out. I am glad my relationship with God isn't measured and determined by how many good things I do in contrast to how often I screw up. God loves me just the way I am and in spite of my goofups and missteps. This is what is so amazing about grace (sorry to borrow that book title in making my point): God loves me in spite of my weaknesses and strengths. Which is a good thing, especially if you tend to screw up a lot, like I sometimes do. ;)

No comments: