Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Irrevocable Calling

Lately I've been talking with several guys who have been struggling ever so greatly with what they believe God would have them do--and more importantly, the fact that they haven't been doing what they think they should be doing in the first place.

I spoke with one of these guys a few Sundays ago and listened as he talked about what he always believed as God's call to ministry. Knodding in agreement with this man's struggle of discernment, I relayed the passage from Romans 11:29 that says, "The gifts and calling of God are irrevocable."

Sometimes it seems that God calls many of us to service and yet, so few respond right away. Perhaps the temptation to live beyond a meager salary is the cause. Perhaps the qualifications and lengthy education is another. Or, perhaps it is the negative social stigma attached to the clergy. And yet, there is another possibility that I relate to personally.

Sometimes a person can confuse God's call with a church's expectation. If that expectation is challenged, a person may then think that he or she misunderstood God's call to begin with. While I am a fervent supporter of the United Church of Christ and all its ministry--God called me to pastor first, it was only the church that confirmed that calling as well recognizing that my gifts for ministry is compatible with the United Church of Christ.

Discerning the inspiration of God is a challenging task that involves much prayer, wisdom, and faith. Often the faith that is required is also one that involves risk--jumping out when few believe you should. When I was rejected as a Southern Baptist minister for my fabulous sexual orientation, I thought my ministry was over--after all, wasn't the church's responsibility to confirm and discern what they believed God's call was for my life? Well, yes and no. Certainly the church confirms my gifts for ministry but it is up to me to discern God's call.

It took me a couple of years to feel confident that God's call upon me was irrevocable-- and it took me finding the United Church of Christ to realize a place in which I can serve. And yet, it was God who showed me the way all along. Answering God's call to service is the first step in understanding God's call, if only to say in prayer, "Okay God, I realize you want me to do something, now just show me what I should do and where I oughta go."

Once we answer the call, God directs our way into the ministry we oughta go. Perhaps you're in the wrong place to serve now? Well, if that is so, don't be surprised if you're pulled out of it-- especially if you say to God, "Show me where I oughta go."

As I talk with those struggling with their calling, a part of me remembers the joy (and struggle) about the faith that is needed in making such a drastic change. The faith they will need to respond to their call is huge because each one of these persons is not only over 40 years old but each one is also gay. In both cases, their willingness to revisit their calling and the faith they are employing is inspirational and exciting- at least, it is to me anyways.

All this just goes to show that what God begins, God completes in us.. even if and albeit long after we thought it was possible. I wonder if this belated acceptance to God's call is something akin to how Abraham and Sarah understood God's promise that they would have a child so late in life. I guess the moral to Abraham and Sarah, and those that I am talking with is that it's never too late in life to go about doing what God would have us do.


No comments: