Monday, August 02, 2004

It's been a busy week

I love being productive- its something I was ingrained with as a boy. However, part of that ingraining process included some interesting twists. For instance, my mother used to say (about my bedroom), "a cluttered bedroom is a cluttered mind." Given how my brain has always seemed to be cluttered with something, I reasoned that I couldn't ever do anything productive unless my bedroom was clean. Now, in my adulthood, I can't seem to do anything unless my whole apartment is tidy and clean.

So.. you'd think my apartment was extra clean- the thing is, it isn't. It's tidy for sure but not super-duper clean. So, whenever I have projects to do for church or sermons to write, I have to stop periodically and clean. So, I clean a little, and write a little. And this goes on all night. Part of me is thinking, if I got a maid, then I'd get more work done. But then, how would I know if my mind is cluttered if someone else does the cleaning in my apartment? Hmmm...

Anyways, I have had a busy week. I preached yesterday morning up at my former church in Scarsdale, NY. It was a great time and I loved seeing all my old friends there. Following the service, I came home, changed clothes (can you believe the church is Scarsdale doesn't have air conditioning?- my shirt and suit was drenched in sweat). I went back to my church (our services are at 5pm) and preached the same sermon I preached at Scarsdale (with only minor situational changes). Several people commented that they enjoyed how I interpreted the text based on the lectionary reading; they appreciated how I gave them something to really 'chew on'. Other folks enjoyed the references to the Broadway musical Rent that I used in the sermon. Click here to read the sermon. Following the service, we had communion (which is my favorite church liturgical experience). And, get this: we had a ton of visitors. And, we even had a few who came back! I love it when that happens.

On Saturday, I took folks from church up to our cabin at Lake Herriman State Park for a day of R & R. It was a nice trip and I had fun rowing across the lake as well as sleeping and catching up on a book I'd been reading.

This week will be somewhat busy but not as hectic as last week. I am sure I'll get all caught up in no time.

Oh, and I finally finished the book Dry, by Augusten Burroughs. Wow!! It was a great read. The book is a sequel to Burrough's Running with Scizzors. It is about his life as an adult and details his struggle with alcoholism. The book is funny and poignant. I'd definately recommend it- but first, read Running with Scizzors. That way, you'll understand the chronology better.

I'll write more this week- sorry for the absence of stuff last week.

No comments: