Sunday, August 22, 2004

These are a few of my favorite things...

Songbird, Eva Cassidy
Celebrate! Music of the 60's, Turtle Creek Chorale
Frisco Jazz Band, Turk Murphy
My Best, John Denver
On the Rocks- Lounge Compilation
Lifted, Songs of the Spirit, Starbucks compilation CD
O Brother, Where Art Thou Soundtrack
Capitol Collections Series, Kay Starr
16 Most Requested Songs, Doris Day
Self-titled, Rufus Wainwright
Come Away with Me, Norah Jones

Okay, I realize some of these cd titles might embarrass you just reading them. But hey, its my music and I like them (and yes, John Denver really isn't that bad). It's wild how a fella can get attached to his music.

This summer, I was invited to spend a week of rest and relaxation with a bunch of friends at the Pines section out on Fire Island. Fire Island is an island with several communities and fancy homes on a strip of land on the southeast shore of Long Island. On the island, there are no streets (and cars aren't allowed on it), only miles and miles of boardwalks. And, the island is only accessible via a ferry boat. It's a schwanky vacation destination for those who are a) rich enough to own a summer beach house on the island, b) almost rich enough yet not yet and choose instead to buy a "summer share" out there, or c) have generous friends who enjoy your company. I am in the "C" category.

Anyways, when I was there, I overslept on the day I was to leave and almost missed my boat back to the mainland. Rushing frantically, I grabbed my duffle bag and left running for the boat. Making it at the last moment, I remember that I forgot my cds. Pulling out my cell phone, I called a couple of my friends who stayed behind at the house to say, "Could someone grab my cds and we'll meet up in the city later."

Well, later bacame one heck of a long time. As it happened, I finally got my cds back last night. And I am one happy fella. It's funny how you get used to familiar tunes- and I have been humming several of the songs I've been sorely missing. The one cd that I have missed the most is the 60's collection from the Turtle Creek Chorale. It is a fun assortment of some great folk music and happy music.

As a result of my temporary loss of music, I am contemplating the purchase of an iPod. I doubt I'd rush to a boat if I left it behind (I'd just take the next one in the harbor) and it seems like a great idea. But daaaaaaaaang, them iPods aren't cheap. Maybe I ought just buy a leash for my cd case and tie it around my neck. Sure, I'll look goofy but at least I won't forget my cds. And, if I am going to carry John Denver and Doris Day with me anyway, what does it really matter how goofy I am going to look?

No comments: