Saturday, August 28, 2004

The Witch of Endor

Ever since I was a kid, I have always loved the television show Bewitched, not just because most of the characters in it were gay in real life (Darrin, Endora, Doctor Bombay, Uncle Arthur, and Samantha's dad, played by Ceasar Romero, I can't remember his onscreen name), I've just enjoyed the fun of the humor, popping in and out of places, and the crazed responses of Darrin and Samantha's neighbors.

So, coming upon the story in the Old Testament about the Witch of Endor was funny because now I understood where Samantha's mom's name came from, her name in the show was Endora. Reading the story found in 1 Samuel 28, it is interesting to read and wonder if it really is possible to speak with the dead, as is seen in the current television show, Crossing over with Jonathan Edwards. I found a great article commenting on the funky story, you can find that by going here to the article on beliefnet.com. If my link doesn't work, just type in Endor in the search engine and go to the article entitled The Bible's Witch of Endor. I worry that my link won't work because the site may require you to sign up to access the article (it's free, by the way).

Personally, the story is about as believable as the angels who married the daughters of the earth to produce really tall and valiant men as described in Genesis 6:1-4. I think its cool to think about it though, in a Lord of the Rings kind of way, where the Nephilim were, "the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown." Reading the story of the witch of Endor though, the author in the article explains the craftiness of the witch once she learned that it is Saul who asked her to conjure up Samuel. It's interesting that Samuel actually appears though- and for a guy raised to discount those fortune tellers and palm readers I see in every town, it gives me pause to go, "hmmm..." I haven't ever been to a palm reader but I have been even more curious since moving to New York where a person sees them on practically every corner.

But I do tend to think about the Bible's very explicit warning against participating in such activities. Not because I think I'll go to hell or anything, but because I believe there really are spirits of all sorts, and I have enough of a time handling the ones that I presently contend with. I am such a wuss I guess. ;)

No comments: