Saturday, February 26, 2005

A Funeral Tomorrrow

I am finding it difficult to go to sleep tonight. Tomorrow morning is a funeral for a friend of mine who died after a very brief (or so it seemed) battle with cancer. Dick Butler was this amazing person, who after retiring from directing the Church World Service, went to work at Union Seminary. I knew Dick in seminary and served with him on several committees and councils in the city.

One amazing characteristic about Dick was that you'd've never guessed he was 74 years old. He acted, moved, and lived much younger. His joy and serious commitment to social justice and ministry was profound. The consumate professional, he was also friendly, approachable, and brilliant.

Union Seminary already had their memorial service for him. You can read about him and the memorial service as well as watch a video of the service here. Tomorrow, The Riverside Church where he was a member, is holding its memorial service followed by a light repast and remembrance time at Union Seminary.

I am so sad right now... really achingly sad. Funny thing is, while I knew Dick, I didn't know him that well. Serving on committees isn't like going to his home or, traveling with him, or waxing theological in a local pub. I only knew him by his commitment in areas of justice. And while that may pale to others who knew him better, I find myself affected by him nonetheless.

From the little I knew of him, he was such an amazing person.

No comments: