Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Scary but really cool program

Yesterday morning I downloaded this 125 MB program that once it was installed turned out to be 2 GBs. NASA has a new program that'll let you zoom in on anything happening in the world via their satellites. You can see rivers and streams, mountains and creeks, from Tanzania to the mighty Mississippi. You can even see cities, towns, and buildings. And, if you want to have some real honest to goodness fun, you can live in New York City and call your mom in Oklahoma and ask, "Mom, who's parked in your driveway?"

She was a bit freaked to learn about this particular program.

The program is cool- but it requires a serious 3D graphics card, one that I don't have. However, I was able to see a lot, just not real clear. So, no, I couldn't really see who's parked in mom's driveway (but you can, this program was up and running last year and I did in fact call her last year to inquire about the mysterious car in her driveway). I did it again this week and it wasn't as funny since she didn't have an unusual car parked there. On my computer is was too blurry to actually see it... yet. I'll get the new graphics card this weekend.

To find the site, check out the NASA World Wind homepage and look for the download section.

No comments: