Thursday, March 17, 2005

Maundy Thursday

I know I should be concentrating on Palm Sunday, since I am preaching it and have yet to hammer out a sermon for it. However, my mind keeps pondering Maundy Thursday. In my faith tradition, we honor Holy Week by observing Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday. Each particular day has its own special observance and unique particulars.

Maundy Thursday is the day in which the church celebrates Jesus gathering his disciples for the Last Supper. Also, many services add other elements of the service to make it more special. In our service, we will have a modernized foot washing, a communion meal, and a stripping of the altar at the end of the service.

Our modernized foot washing will actually be a "hand washing" where the pastors will kneal with a ceramic bowl and a towel draped over our arms. The participants will sit and we'll wash their hands (as opposed to their feet, since most people where socks and shoes- and since most people end up touching all sorts of dirty things like subway handles, park benches, wiping the snot from their kids' noses, etc.).

So, in addition to these activities, I am also preaching. I know I'll need to keep the sermon short, I have found myself thinking about what Jesus must have thought knowing he was about to die. It calls to my mind what a person with a terminal illness might hear from his or her doctor when given the news, "Jack, I am sorry to say this but you have a terribly advancing cancer. I can't do anything for you. You need to go home and 'get your house in order.'" What would a person be thinking given this sudden sad news? What would be the first things s/he would do? Would he first talk with those he loved? Would he make sure his will was up to date? Would he set priorities?

Jesus seemed to know what he needed to do. While he may not have had too many possessions to worry about, he did gather his disciples and friends for a special meal. He also instructed them how to behave. All in all, he spent time with those he loved.

As I think about life and death and what a person must feel as they approach such a scary and unknown time, it makes sense that Jesus would surround himself with those he loved- just as it makes sense that a person given a short time to live would do the same. Even Jesus needed the comfort and support of his friends as he faced death.

This is where I am going with the sermon- or at least, its what I am thinking I might say.

I supposed I oughta really focus on Sunday's Palm Sunday message, since that is just a few days a way. ;)

No comments: