Friday, September 09, 2005

Another Viewpoint on Perspective

Lately, I've been wanting to redecorate my apartment. I've been thinking about purchasing a new chair to replace my recliner (that I sleep in far too often) and a new dining room table. But, I really cannot afford to purchase something brand new so I've taken to browsing Craigslist's For Sale furniture listings. Craigslist is sort of like Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaraunt. "You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaraunt, 'cepting Alice..." Craigslist sells furniture, homes, has apartments for rent, personals (hang on to your knickers there, it gets mighty specific sometimes), and a host of other items and services.

My point though is not in the variety of what Craigslist has to offer but the pictures of the particular items that posters put online to sell. In those pictures, and this is so amazing and unbelievable to me, some of those pictures show to all who view them, completely messy and horrific apartments themselves. I am not kidding. Say you're looking for a new table or headboard for your bed, in the picture there are clothes scattered all over the place, crap piled up in the corners and in the middle of the room, and the interior design is so appalling (read: messy and disorganized) that I often hear myself either laughing or shrieking!

And then, I look at my apartment and go, "You know, what you have is pretty nice; my apartment is clean and tidy; and almost everything has it's own place." And once I start thinking that way, I am less inclined to want to buy a new chair or a new table. And then I am satisfied until once again I get the desire to redecorate. Crazy, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to hear you are redecorating your apartment. I redecorated my Houston apartment and it turned out great. I wish you the best of luck with your apartment.