Wednesday, September 21, 2005

When Some People Require a Push

Okay, so it's almost 11am in the morning. I've been up since about 6:30am but I haven't been coherant since about 9am when the super knocked on the door and said, "I am here to fix your ceiling." You see, the ceiling in my bathroom has partially caved in. And, its been leaking water for the past 4 months. So, today, unannounced, he shows up to say, "I am here to fix your ceiling."

I called my boss and he said that it was okay that I stay home today. I will need to call him back though, the super found another leak (and showed it to me) and he thinks it'll take another day to repair everything (today to fix the leak, tomorrow to fix my ceiling).

I had asked my super to fix my leaky ceiling 4 months ago. And, I've asked him to fix it over a dozen times since then. Each time, he says, "I'll get to it on Monday." When Monday rolls around, he is no where to be found. I see him on Tuesday and ask, "Where were you and when are you going to fix my leaky ceiling?" Each time he says, "Monday, I'll fix it next Monday." But he never shows up!

So, I've called the management company who manages the apartment building, they never return my call. I've written letters to them and the company that handles my rent payments. I've heard nothing. So, I gave deadlines and partial irritated threats like, "If you don't fix my ceiling, I am going to call the City's Housing Department." And still that didn't work either.

So finally, I called the City's Housing Department. They came and inspected the ceiling and were aghast that it hasn't been fixed yet. So, a week later, my super shows up and says, "I am here to fix your ceiling."

It's amazing how some people operate and what it takes to get them to do their job. I mean, I am sympathetic to my super (he is always busy running this way and that; working on apartment leaks all day). But still, he could give me a day he's going to fix it and then fix it. Rather than having to go through the whole mess of writing and calling and finally having the city come out.

I guess some people just operate that way. I know several people, like my super, who you have to push them to do something rather than expect them to be more professional, take the initiative, and do what is required. I don't know if its a lack of resolve, laziness, or unorganization? It might be a combination of all three, but who knows.

Still, my bathroom ceiling is getting fixed. Yayyy!! At least, I hope it's getting fixed. :/

No comments: