Monday, September 26, 2005

March for Peace, Washington DC

On Saturday, several members of the church and I went by bus to Washington, DC for the March for Peace. It was an incredible opportunity to see how many people are truly against our president's imperialism and flagrant misuse of power and authority--and most of everyone's angst was directed to the War in Iraq.

There was so much energy and inspiration at the rally. Men and women, young and old, turned out to protest. A few of the protesters were veteran protesters, looking all hippied up and probably still smoking pot and living in their vans (which is cool in a whole different kind of way). Many of the young protesters were part of much larger crowds, some may have know exactly why they were there, others seemed to be glad to just be there.

One interesting and noticable element that was missed were people of color. I did notice a much larger contingent of Hispanic Americans that was represented by other minorities. However, the ratio of caucasions to persons of color was unmistakingly noticeable. I do not know why this was so- and I can only speculate, which I'll do in another post.

Still, the Saturday event was wonderful. I had hoped to blog by phone while I was there but a glitch in the mechanics prevented that from happening. I will further explore that glitch, because I still don't know how it happened.

You can read more about what happened by people a lot more vehemently opposed (and more articulate) than I am by pointing your browser here over to afterdowningstreet.org.

No comments: