Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Recommend Books Update

I finished reading the wonderful book, The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. It was such a wonderful read! The story is set in South Africa and it is about a woman who opens up a detective agency in the town of Botswana. Mma Ramotswe is a detective in a way that blends Agatha Christie with Aunt Bea from Mayberry. It is charming, wholesome, and funny.

To Kill a Mockingbird is just a wonderful classic of American literature. The style in which it is written, both folksy and yet 'bright eyed' as retold through the voice of a young woman, is simply the best storytelling ever put on paper. Has it been awhile since you read it? Do you think of the movie more than the words in the book? (Honestly, I had to fight off those images as I read the story again.) If you're looking for a book to read on a stormy Saturday afternoon, then this book might just be what you're looking for.

I now have two new books to read. One, that I started on yesterday is Splintered Icon. It tells the story of a bookseller who has to appraise a valued manuscript only to discover that hidden in its pages is a terrible secret conspiracy that is still unraveling after centuries, and "processing the unimaginable power to literally change history and splinter it forever." I love a good book like this (in the Dan Brown vein) but unfortunately the writing isn't that good. Hopefully it'll pick up here soon.

My other book that I bought on Monday is called The Boys in the Brownstone. According to the book jacket, it is the story of "a hilarious comedy of manners about a group of gay men who don't fit in anywhere except a bar they call home." Also, the book's author is a friend of a friend of mine, and I was told that the book was really good. So, I bought it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: