Thursday, June 15, 2006

It was INSANE, I tell you

Last night (or is that this morning?) at 4:00 a.m., I finally finished putting this buffet/server together. It took me 5 hours and 45 minutes to accomplish. The whole process was fraught with difficulties, unclear directions from a 15 page instruction manual, and my weary and tired eyes trying to figure out what the heck I was doing. On some pieces, I put one thing together only to realize I needed to take it apart because I misunderstood a previous step and had to do it over again.

And then, just as I was about to finally finish, and was a bit elated, and patting myself on the back, I tightened the last remaining screw that affixed the top portion of the cabinet and, using my power drill, I mistakenly tightened the screw too tight and caused a tiny, thin, but very noticable crack on the corner of the unit.

Grrrr.....!!!!!!!!!!!

It's made of Brazillian pine and the wood is soft. I am thinking I oughta go buy some glue, borrow a clamp, and then, after everything has set, put a coat or two of polyurithane or shallack on it. I am going today to a church member who is knowledgeable about woodworking to get his advice.

Still, after all the insanity, it does look pretty nice. It is actually darker than the picture. It is the color of dark tobacco and it goes very well in my dining room.

No comments: